top of page
Helping your child develop a "can do" attitude and success in math.
What are middle school and elementary tutor rates?
Math tutor prices and tutoring session lengths vary depending on what your elementary or junior high student needs. Some families want help with math facts. Others want to fill in missing math skills, and still other families want homework help. In general, most sessions are 55 minutes long and cost $48 per session. Shorter or longer sessions are available such as 25 minute sessions for $24.
After our FREE consultation and assessment, I will make arrangements with you to pay through Zelle or Paypal.
What is the *Money-Back Guarantee?
If you’re not satisfied with my services, I will refund the last tutoring session you paid for, no questions asked.
How does online tutoring work?
Online tutoring is like regular tutoring in that we can see and hear each other. I will send your student a link to a Zoom meeting and make sure the audio and video are working. In our first session, I will give your child a FREE online assessment to determine what skills and gaps they may have. You are also welcome to share any test information that your school has provided if you wish (for example: NWEA, AimsWeb, or PARCC test results.)
We'll both have the ability to write on a virtual whiteboard and work on problems together. We can work on filling math gaps, work on homework or test prep (or all). We'll go over concepts, go over some work from the textbook or a worksheet that your student may have emailed to me prior to our lesson. At times I will have videos or games we play to build math skills. It's really quite simple.
What kind of equipment do we need for online tutoring?
Most families already have what is needed, which is basically a good internet connection and a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and built-in microphone. If you prefer your student can use a headset and microphone if they are working in a place that is noisy or distracting. Most kids are proficient using the touchpad on a laptop or can use a mouse to write on our online whiteboard. If you want a small tablet and stylus (XP Pen G430 small tablet and pen or Huion H420 kit) can be purchased for $19-$24) but it's not necessary.
Why are you an elementary and middle school math tutor online?
There are many reasons I love being an online math tutor for 3rd graders - 8th graders. It's flexible, convenient, enjoyable, and fulfilling. First off, it is nice to be able to set my own working hours and set up schedules that work well for my students. And you can't get more convenient than working in your own home, that means no commute! The parents I work with appreciate this, and the students love working in a place that is comfortable for them too. It's fun to be able to impart my knowledge and understanding of math and to help kids achieve their learning goals. I get to make a real difference in people's lives doing the thing I love.
How do we get started?
There are three simple steps:
1. Contact me via the contact form on the home page, email me, or leave a text or voicemail on my phone (below). We can set up a FREE consultation phone call to discuss your child's needs and goals. When you are ready to get started, you can register for your tutoring session.
2. I give your child a FREE online assessment to determine gaps in understanding. I will then call you to discuss the results and decide on an action plan.
3. You choose the best time to schedule tutoring sessions in the comfort and convenience of your own home. We can discuss any openings I have in my schedule and I will block out times for your student.
4. Once you schedule and pay I will send you an email with the links to your first tutoring session and to bitpaper which is the online white board your student and I both write on during the tutoring session. You should click on this a few minutes before our first scheduled session.
For step-by-step instructions please see my videos on the Register page.
What is your cancellation policy?
If you are not able to make a session, please request a change in time for the week at least 24 hours in advance. If you are unable to do this and miss a session, the session will still be charged. While I am lenient up to 3 times because I realize that things happen, I always put the responsibility of rescheduling in the parent’s hands. All you need to do is contact me, and we can set up a different time. If no contact is made, then it is charged as if we had the session. There are no exceptions to this.
Since I have a busy schedule, it is really important to start and end on time. If you show up late, it usually will not be possible to make up that time.
Isn't a big nationwide tutoring company better than working with a private tutor online?
Actually, it is more cost effective and better for your student to work with an independent tutor than to work with a big online company. Usually when you use corporate tutoring, you don't get the same tutor each time. Many times, the tutor is not someone who specializes in or has taught math before. This means it could take two to three times longer to get the results you want.
Because I have taught for 16+ years, I can quickly figure out your child's learning style and gaps. This is important because we can get results faster. Being a parent myself, I have hired high school students to tutor my children. While they were good at middle school math, they had no teaching experience and couldn't figure out missing skills. I have also used a big national tutoring company and unfortunately my child only got about 5-10 minutes of individual instruction each session because the tutor was working with a group of students at varying grade and skill levels. While my son did make gains, it wasn't nearly as quickly as we hoped because he just didn't get good individualized and focused attention.
Wouldn't you prefer the personal touch a private online tutor can give?
How to ace a math final
Preparation is the key to doing well on your math final. If you have time, plan on studying or working with a tutor a couple of weeks before the big test. You will have an advantage if you make sure you get adequate sleep, eat well, and practice relaxation techniques such as deep-breathing before and during the test. Thinking positive thoughts will help too.
1. Make a list of any formulas you may need on flashcards and practice memorizing them.
2. Pay particular attention to any study guides and review assignments asking your teacher or others for help if you don't understand a problem.
3. When you sit down to start the test, write down any memorized formulas on the top of the page so you can free up your memory.
4. Pace yourself and do easy problems first, then come back to more difficult ones later.
5. Reread word problems and double check answers.
6. If you come to a problem you don't understand, try to come up with an easier version and work through it, then apply your steps to the difficult problem.
7. When you are done, celebrate! You made it through another learning opportunity!
Kind of equipmen
Why do you tutor
How do we get started?
ace math final
bottom of page